Monday, September 27, 2010

Disaster!


I remember very few incidents that I had been so terrified in my life. It was the despair, hopeless, I-don't-know-how-I-can-get-on-with-it, moment. I remember there was the first time I failed a paper and didn't dare to show mum the paper; there was time when I failed my first driving test... and my memory fails me there, perhaps it is good not to remember the distressing moments.

I was preparing a 2 tier cake for one of my friend's wedding, it is supposed to sit on the top of a cake tower with cupcakes below, so around 40 medium cupcakes. Plus 220 pcs of mini cupcakes as favors. It was really really stretching considering I didn't have any help. But finally on Friday, I has to surrender to SOS and called my cousin sister. MC also helped a lot, not only with the hands on work, but also by being there. I actually want to just put this incident at the back of my mind, but I want to blog about it and get over with this nasty feeling at the bottom of my stomach. Hopefully.

So there I was preparing the cake, the night before and it was around 10pm. CRASHED!!! The bride figurine suddenly fell off the cake and onto the FLOOR!! I was lucky she didn't crack or got damaged. But the cake was "broken" - there was a patch that fell off from the top tier and there was NO WAY it can be repaired. I texted MFG to tell him I am "SCARED". Really, it wasn't just stressed, but cold sweat scared. The wedding function was the next day!

After lifting the top tier off from the bottom, the bottom tier was damaged too. I really had cold sweat swept over me. Waves of nausea overtaken my senses. I didn't know what to do... How can there be no cake? Even though it was for my friend! I was at the edge of breaking down, only MC and cousin was there and told me that I should not give up and must try my best to salvage that. At the end, I decided to bake the cake again.

You have no idea how stressful that was, it took me THREE full days to get to that point and I only have 1 night? I was supposed to attend the church ceremony also but I decided to give that up, even though I was really looking forward to it, and I bought new dress for the event.

Then the groom figurine also started to fail me, I wanted to throw that away and make a new one, only MC reminded me that I do not have time - there was not enough time for the figurine to harden and be able to stand just overnight. She was right, luckily she was there to talk some sense onto me. So I had to just cover the imperfect legs.


I didn't have time to cry, only a lump chocking on my throat constantly. The night before I worked till 4am on the figurines and so on Friday night, I worked til 5.30am. It was really stressful and tiring till I wanted to just put my head down on the table and go to sleep - not to wake up: forever.
Finally, I pulled it through and it was delivery time, I really could not delay my journey anymore. In a rush, I found that my purse couldn't fit into my clutch bag. I wanted to just take out my IC and driving license and go without cash etc. BUT, I cannot find my driving license in my whole purse!! What happened? I didn't have time to figure out what happened to my driving license, so I took my whole handbag and left. I "hid" it in the boot. I know I am taking risk, I've done that before and I thought I might get away with it. After all, they can't track non electronic stuff in the boot right? And I took out all the cash, only left with RM20 (I originally had about RM600 in the purse). All those while, I hope the bag was well hidden and the mind was fully occupied with the delivery and what if the figurine fell off?? I would faint. You cannot imagine how scared I was. Even MFG after I told him what happened, he said he cannot imagine. He thought it was just a matter of working on it again with the extra few hours. I didn't think anyone can imagine how I felt.

Half way through dinner, I had gastric. I know I was really careless, I actually was so tired and sick that I felt like I didn't care about anything in the world anymore. So I went to take the pills from the car. Yes, my handbag was still there, and to think back, that must be the time when someone must have seen the handbag in he boot! I had this creep feeling at the back of my neck, but tiredness really overwhelm me. I still had another cake to prepare for the next morning. MORNING! And can anyone imagine how stressed out I was.

Anyways, you would have known. An hour later, I returned to my car to leave and my handbag was gone, along with shattered glass at the backseat window that was facing the main road. The thief didn't even smash the glass at the opposite side which will be well hidden from passerby. And that side was exactly where the handbag was.

Actually, despair not because I lost my handbag. I can buy a new one, cards and documents yes, it is going to be a hassle, but they can be recovered. The window glass will cost me RM150. But it was not the end of the world. Surprisingly I was depressed because I couldn't get home earlier to get on with my cake order, and I was really upset that the night ended that way. It was supposed to me a mission accomplished night.

I was really tired. Moral of the story is not just be careful and not leave stuff in the car. Who doesn't know? All the stories all the reminder. But I guess one go the convenient way and take things for granted. I was glad I was not mugged and perhaps I should not decline company when offered - a girl friend offered to company me to my car but I thought it's just a very short distance so better not trouble her. So imagine if I took my handbag with me and got snatched.

And another moral of the story is really DO NOT take too much order. Do not take more that what I can manage to have on my plate. To top everything, mum was so sarcastic when she found out about the incident, it was serve me right. Yes, I accepted it, I was lazy and I deserve this outcome. I take it without complaint, but mum, it really hurts and it didn't help with my future doings, if anything, I felt like being rebellious and not listen to her. Doesn't she know me better already? I guess not. And why do I even bother since I know she's going to be her no matter what.

This post is too long.

MFG and another guy friend accompanied me to the police station, the other friend drove my car while MFG led the way. My girlfriend has been there providing all the numbers for me to call the banks. Geezz... didn't realize I have got so many cards. After checking, the thief didn't use any of my cards. Later my friend drove me and my car home and MFG followed. It was really comforting. But I was REALLY tired after that, I cannot begin to describe how I felt. Anyways, I got on with preparing the cake for the next day delivery. I told my customer that there were 2 items which I cannot managed. She gave me full price when I delivered to her this morning despite having told here that I will give her a discount. MC and BILL drove me to Ikano this morning for the delivery and accompanied me which was really comforting.

I suddenly feel very "lonely". It's a strange feeling, I guess many people chose to settle down when this kind of feeling overwhelms them. MC and BIL will be moving out soon. Mum also reminded me that she will not be with me soon. MFG leaving for business trip middle of this week and well, he is never going to be "with me" anyhow.

Thanks Sweeie for the messages, though your story made me cry but it was comforting to receive message at the middle of this really quiet night.

So all in all, I feel really tired and depressed, and I think I am allowed to cry a little, finally.

5 comments:

gymaddict said...

Oh no!!! :(
Hope you're ok.
Huggies

Anonymous said...

hey babe,
wow...didnt know the story started wif the cake disaster..
hope u're recovering and taking all these lessons in life.
it's always a good practise to be cautious in whatever we do...

See u tomorrow.. Haf a good nite zzzz
Hugz
LGM

Anonymous said...

It is okay, my dear. When all things hit the bottom, they only have one way to go, up. :)

I know the feeling, I felt the same when I got snatched in my working attire and high heels. It dragged until 1am to settle the report and I didn't dare to tell my parents about it until now, they would have freaked out. ;) we have to be careful these days..

Now that it reminded me, that I did receive a very heart warming text from someone special.

See you tomorrow for dinner. ;)

Everything will be alright :))) at least MFG is still around..

TTB said...

Gymaddict, thanks!


when I become too tired, i really cannot set my head straight. I need shortcuts and stuff from time to time for convenience, just that sometimes they turned out as disasters which is too bad. That's life i guess.

it is good to have disasters in life, it is the experience that makes us different from others. :)

TTB said...

MFG is only around until weds and he cannot tell when he is coming back :(

See you gals tomorrow.